C4/C2/C1+/C0 HiFi Shield 2 with S/PDIF
Compatible with the ODROID-C0/C1+/C2/C4. Not compatible with the original ODROID-C1.
The HiFi Shield 2 provides stereo RCA connectors and an S/PDIF optical connector to connect to external amplifiers and other audio equipment. Via TI's high-end PCM5242 DAC chip (aka Burr-Brown) (formerly PCM5102), it supports 16, 24 and 32 bit audio formats with minimal THD+N ratio (0.002%) and ideal dynamics (114dB+) (formerly 100db+), plus amazing sampling rates of 384kHz.
The dedicated S/PDIF interface supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution via optical (Toslink) output.
Using the new I2S expansion added to the ODROID-C series (not available on the original ODROID-C1, however), we save a USB port and allow the user to select their audio playback system of choice, such as Volumio, RuneAudio for HiFi audio playback.
- The DAC chip uses a high-end PCM5242 chip from Burr-Brown company (now part of TI) which utilizes the I2S interface. It supports 16, 24 and 32 bit audio formats with minimal THD+N ratio (0.002%) and ideal dynamics (114dB+), plus amazing sampling rates of 384kHz.
- Volume controls via I2C interface is a great feature to maintain great audio quality with adjustable audio output volume.
- The output ports include gold-plated stereo RCA terminals and an S/PDIF connector.
- The dedicated S/PDIF interface supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution via optical (Toslink) output.
- An ultra-low noise dropout regulator is populated for the power supply, significantly reducing power supply noise and greatly increasing the signal to noise ratio.
- The I2S interface allows for direct decoding of the digital input to analog output using master clock synchronization.
- The PCB surface is comprised of gold-plating on top of 2 oz. of copper, ensuring signal continuity and reducing signal reflection and refraction.
- Balanced (differential signal) audio output soldering pads are available.
- Stereo RCA jacks (gold-plated)
- S/PDIF (Toslink) connector
- PCM5242 DAC chip supports 16, 24 and 32 bit audio formats
- Minimal THD+N ratio (0.002%)
- Ideal dynamics (114dB+)
- Sampling rates of 384kHz
- HiFi Shield 2 Board (ODROID single-board computer is not included)
- Android not supported. Hardkernel states they have no plans to support the Android OS to enable the I2S driver for Android kernel and HAL.
- Ubuntu/Linux setup guide for ODROID-C2 - https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/sound/hifi_shield
- Ubuntu/Linux setup guide for ODROID-C1+/C0 - http://odroid.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:c1_hifi_shield
- Official Volumio OS support - https://volumio.org/volumio-and-the-new-odroid-c1-hifi-shield/
- Official Runeaudio OS support - http://www.runeaudio.com/runeaudio-runs-on-odroid-c1-and-odroid-c1/
- PCB mechanical drawings (AutoCAD format) - http://dn.odroid.com/homebackup/201610/HiFi_Sheild2_REV0.2_MECH.zip
- Schematics - http://dn.odroid.com/homebackup/201610/HiFi_Shield2_REV0.2_20160726.pdf
The HiFi Shield 2 is a high-resolution Digital to Analog Converter(DAC) for the ODROID-C4, C2, C1+ and C0. This is a special sound card that is optimized for the best fidelity audio playback quality. It delivers a nicely balanced sound, solid, deep, wide and nicely layered.
We've analysed the the audio quality of the HiFi Shield 2 DAC output with the famous industry standard equipment, Audio Precision. The Audio Precision is a high performance audio analyser optimized for the digital audio product.
The analog output of the HiFi Shield 2 is connected to the equipment and measurement data shows on the host PC.
RuneAudio image run on the ODROID-C1+ with HiFi-Shield 2. 192KHz audio test files were used.
Audio Precision Input : Analog unbalanced 2ch, 600ohm
Hardware volume/mixer settings
Analogue : -6.00 dB (amixer -c 1 sset Analogue 0)
Digital : -3.00 dB (amixer -c 1 sset Digital 201)
Deemphasis Filter : On (amixer -c 1 sset Deemphasis on)
Software volume settings
RuneAudio UI volume : software volume 100 (maximum full scale)
Warranty is valid for four weeks, starting upon date of receipt.