How To: Create a smart garage door opener in 5 minutes (for beginners or pros)
The benefits of making this yourself are:
- You will have FULL control over your garage door opener. You can control it from the cloud, or you can retain 100% of the control and not allow any outside company to have access to your garage door opener or the data generated by it.
- You can customize the operation of your garage door opener in any way you please.
- You won't be left with a non-working garage door opener like your neighbor will when the company that made their "Smart" opener decides to no longer support it or goes bankrupt.
- You can make this opener way more secure than a "prepackaged" opener from another company. You can control it through your VPN, through your local network only, or any other way you see fit.
- It's super easy and inexpensive.
- ameriDroid has quality parts at low prices.
- Your awesomeness level will increase.
- Shelly 1 UL Smart Relay: https://ameridroid.com/products/shelly-1-ul-wifi-ac-dc-relay-switch-15a
- Shelly Button: https://ameridroid.com/products/shelly-button
- 12VDC Power Supply: https://ameridroid.com/products/12v-2a-power-supply-plug
If you don't have a simple garage door opener like the one shown in this video, and rather have one of the more complex garage door openers, here's a great write-up of how to do the same thing in that situation: https://hometechhacker.com/diy-garage-door-opener-w-security-2-0-gdos/
- Another video and write up similar to this project: https://www.thesmarthomehookup.com/home-automation-for-beginners-diy-smart-garage-door/