C0/C1+/C2 HiFi Shield Plus with S/PDIF
The HiFi Shield provides stereo RCA connectors, a 3.5mm stereo jack (all gold-plated) and an S/PDIF optical connector to connect to external amplifiers and other audio equipment. Via TI's high-end PCM5102 DAC chip, it supports 16 to 24 bit audio formats with minimal distortion (-93dB) and ideal dynamics (100dB+), plus amazing sampling rates of 384kHz.
Using the new I2S expansion added to the ODROID-C series, we save a USB port and allow the user to select their audio playback system of choice, such as Volumio, RuneAudio or XBMC/Kodi for HiFi audio playback.
- The DAC chip uses a high-end PCM5102 chip from Burr-Brown company (now part of TI) which utilizes the I2S interface. It supports 16 to 24 bit audio formats with minimal distortion (-93dB) and ideal dynamics (100dB+), plus amazing sampling rates of 384kHz.
- The output ports include gold-plated stereo RCA terminals, a 3.5mm audio jack and an S/PDIF connector.
- The dedicated S/PDIF interface is newly added and supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution via optical (Toslink) output.
- An ultra-low noise dropout regulator is coupled with two solid capacitors for the power supply, significantly reducing power supply noise and greatly increasing the signal to noise ratio.
- The I2S interface allows for direct decoding of the digital input to analog output using master clock synchronization.
- The PCB surface is comprised of gold-plating on top of 2 oz. of copper, ensuring signal continuity and reducing signal reflection and refraction.
- Stereo RCA jacks (gold-plated)
- Stereo 3.5mm line-out audio connector
- S/PDIF (Toslink) connector
- PCM5102 DAC chip supports 16 to 24 bit audio formats
- Minimal distortion (-93dB)
- Ideal dynamics (100dB+)
- Sampling rates of 384kHz
- C1+ HiFi Shield Board (ODROID-C1+ is not included)
- 4 x 11mm PCB spacer (Metal)
- 8 x 10mm PCB spacer (Plastic)
- Android not supported. Hardkernel states they have no plans to support the Android OS to enable the I2S driver for Android kernel and HAL.
- The 7-pin map on C1+ board is reversed. Pin 3 is 5V power. The print on the PCB indicates 3V3 which is incorrect.
- These boards use the correct 2.2uF capacitors for audio filtering.
- RuneAudio Forum C1/C1+ Announcement - http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/odroid-c1-c1-now-officially-supported-by-runeaudio-t1343.html
- Official RuneAudio Image - http://sourceforge.net/projects/runeaudio/files/Images/ODROID%20C1%28%2B%29/RuneAudio_odroid-c1_0.3-dev_20150824_2GB.img.gz/download
- Official Volumio OS support - https://volumio.org/volumio-audiophile-music-player-for-odroid-c1-released/
- PCB mechanical drawings (AutoCAD format) - http://dn.odroid.com/homebackup/201507/HiFi_Sheild_REV0.2.DXF.zip
- Schematics - http://dn.odroid.com/homebackup/201507/HiFi_Shield_REV0.2.pdf